Thursday, November 13, 2008

Home's good to be HOME!

We had a wonderful trip to Austin. We had only one planned outing and the rest of the time we just spent with family. L and her cousin T had hours of fun. They are only 15 months apart in age and they miss each other terribly. We have got to get down there more often. It's been two years since our last visit.

As wonderful as it was, I was able to confirm what I suspected was going on with my dad. I had noticed when talking on the phone with him that something had changed in his physical/mental health. I was afraid to talk to my Mom about it over the phone. However, it was much more pronounced in person. My Mom and I had a chance to talk the morning of our last day in Austin and I encouraged her to get him in front of a few new specialists to see what exactly is going on.

It's just so hard to see someone who has always been such a pillar in my life to suddenly deteriorate so drastically. I don't think I've completely absorbed it all. It's heartbreaking. Not just for my Dad, but also my Mom. We're going on a cruise with them in February so it won't be so long between visits and I will be able to access how he changes in those three months.

While I didn't get to do some of the typical things I'd do while in Austin (live music and searching for treasures) it was a very good relaxing visit. L enjoyed playing with her Mamaw and Poppa. We enjoyed copious amounts of mexican food L got a rockin' new pair of N*w Balance shoes and I spent way too much at the Austin City Limits store at the airport.

Our trip home was complicated due to bad weather and airline delays. Our 4:40 arrival in Pittsburgh turned into a midnight arrival with an additional hour drive home. Our delay leaving Austin meant we missed our connection in Houston. Do you know how to entertain a six year old for five hours in an airport? People movers. If I close my eyes, I can still feel like I'm on one. Guess that is bound to happen when you spend about 4 1/2 hours on them! All things considered, L did very well enduring the long wait for our last leg home...and again during the 1 1/2 hours spent sitting on the plane waiting for 30 planes in front of us to take off. Fortunately, they permitted us to use our cell phones and L's portable DVD player.

I acquired some awesome vintage goodies just before I left town. I'm just waiting for a sunny day so I can take some good pictures. NW PA is not known for it's sunny days this time of year.

The next two days will be filled with appointments with surgeons so they can determine when my next surgery will be. Meanwhile, I'm still being seen by the visiting nurses for wound care. I'll be glad when they GO AWAY.

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to the holiday season. Even though our Christmas will be lean, I'm hoping we can focus on other things. I'm planning on us volunteering on Christmas Day to serve lunch to those less fortunate. It's an annual event in our small town and I just need to track down the phone number so I can get us on the Volunteer list.

What are your plans for the holidays?

No comments: